This model advertises speeds of 2166.5 mbps on 5Ghz band. However, they are advertising 1024-QAM (which is 25% faster than 256-QAM), which is not part of 802.11ac specification. Since there are no client devices that support this, we can skip these claims. Realistic speeds are listed below!
Advertised Speed of 5Ghz band¶
Theoretical 802.11ac speed on 5Ghz band (using 80Mhz channel, 256-QAM, 400 ns GI):
- 4 spatial streams x 433.3 mbps/stream = 1733.2 mbps
This is classified as a “Top-Performer” and therefore the fastest 802.11ac wifi system.
- WPA2-Personal (128-bit encryption)
- WPA2-Enterprise (128-bit encryption)
Does this support automatic firmware updates? To find out. If you have this model, and are running the latest firmware, contact us.
Download the latest firmware from asus.com
- Improved AiMesh stability
- Lyra, Lyra Mini, and Lyra Trio can be added as AiMesh node into RT-AC88U network. Please refer to https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1038071 for more detail.
- Fixed CVE-2018-14710, CVE-2018-14711, CVE-2018-14712, CVE-2018-14713, CVE-2018-14714. Thanks for Rick Ramgattie’s contribution.
- Fixed AiCloud/ Samba account vulnerability. Thanks for Matthew Cundari’s contribution.
- Fixed DoS vulnerability. Thanks for Ruikai Liu’s contribution.
- Fixed CVE-2018-17020, CVE-2018-17021, CVE-2018-17022.
- Fixed stored XSS vulnerability. Thanks for Duda Przemyslaw’s contribution.
- Updated OpenSSL library.
New Alexa skill and IFTTT actions
- Add Alexa skill “ ask ASUS ROUTER to report security status”
- Add Alexa skill “ ask ASUS ROUTER how many devices are online”
- Add IFTTT actions : Wake on LAN
- Add IFTTT actions : check new firmware available and upgrade. [Note] You have to upgrade the firmware version up to 18.104.22.168.384_45149 if you want to use these new Alexa skills and IFTTT actions.
Bug fixes and improvement
- Improved wireless stability.
- Modified “Dual Wan” user interface.
- Modified “Port Forwarding” user interface.
- Modified “Restore” user interface.
- Fixed GUI bugs on user feedback page.
- Fixed “Adaptive QoS” bugs.
- Fixed WIFI stability issue.
AiMesh new features
- Supported creating mesh system with new router, BlueCave.
- Added Roaming block list in Advanced Settings –> Wireless. You can add devices into block list and this device will not be roamed between AiMesh nodes.
- Supported ethernet onboarding. User can use ethernet cable. You can use ethernet cable to connect AiMesh router LAN port and AiMesh node WAN port first and run the adding node process to build the mesh system.
- Fixed Reflected XSS vulnerability.
- Fixed CSRF vulnerability.
- Fixed command injection vulnerability.
- Fixed stack buffer overflow vulnerability.
Thanks for Rick Ramgattie contribution.
- Fixed USB hard drive over 2TB compatibility issues.
- Fixed Samba/FTP folder permission issues.
- Added USB3.0/2.0 mode switch setting in Administration –> System –> USB Settings.
- Modified the EULA for DDNS, AiProtection, Adaptive QoS, Traffic Analyzer, Web history, Feedback.
- Add Privacy page in Advanced settings
- Fixed IPv6 bugs
- Modified USB 3.0 related strings.
- Increased port forwarding rules limit from 32 to 64.
- Added more protection mechanism for OpenVPN account.
- Fixed AiMesh bandwidth and extension channel sync issue.
Alpha firmware for MU-MIMO.
- Wi-Fi Alliance MU-MIMO certification standard is not final and MU-MIMO have compatibility issues between different chipset in this stage. We will continually release new firmware to improve MU-MIMO performance. If you want to get the alpha firmware for early stage testing, please send mail to email@example.com and use “RT-AC88U MU-MIMO firmware” as mail title.